This cake is rich and creamy and delightful. It will impress your family and friends and, what’s more, it’s good for you!
Ingredients – serves 10 portions
- 390g whole wheat flour
- 165g dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 200g brown sugar
- 720ml almond milk
- 240ml melted coconut oil
- 360ml applesauce
- 360ml maple syrup
- 15ml apple cider vinegar
- 15ml vanilla extract
- 13g baking soda
- 6g baking powder
- 2g salt
- 850g full-fat coconut milk
- 720g melted dairy-free dark chocolate
- 60ml melted coconut oil
- 400g brown sugar
- Berries for garnish
- Apricot glaze for garnish berries (optional)
Methodology – Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Heat the coconut milk on the stove (do not boil!) and add the dark chocolate to melt.
- Add the coconut oil and brown sugar. Stir until smooth.
- Transfer to bowl or Tupperware and refrigerate for 8 hrs or overnight for best results.
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, dark chocolate cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt). Whisk to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, add the wet ingredients and whisk to combine (almond milk, coconut oil, applesauce, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient a little at a time, while folding mixture with a spatula until combined.
- Pour the batter into a cake pan, greased with coconut oil, and bake for 45 – 55 minutes. Check doneness with a toothpick or knife near the end of baking time, until it comes out almost entirely clean. Cool down the cake completely.
- Take out chocolate sauce from the fridge and stir well. It should be thick and smooth.
- Spread sauce evenly over the entire cake. Add berries of choice on top and brush with apricot glaze if available.